Antique Stoneware NY Batter Crock Jug Pail with Cobalt att Whites Utica, c1875
Stoneware Batter Jug , Pail or Pitcher with Cobalt decoration, 1-Gallon capacity, attributed to the pottery of Whites Utica, NY State, ca. Wheel-thrown, bulbous form with integrated tubular pour spout, two applied ears and a lug handle on reverse side, near the base. A wire and turned wooden bail handle is secured to the ears. Decorated on the lower body with a Tree-like flourish in very bold, Slip-Trailed Cobalt; this is one of Whites signature designs. There is a freehand 4 above the design to denote the capacity, in Quarts. Tan, Salt-Glazed exterior; Albany Slip interior.
Condition : Very Good overall with attractive form strong color. Rim with utilitarian wear and shallow chip on reverse.
Ears with wear/rubs on both openings; left ear has a small chip. Base with wear, chips, soiling and tight hairlines that extend partially into body (see close-ups). Inherent glaze, surface and firing imperfections noted for complete descriptive accuracy. A very desirable form in American Stoneware.
See photos for complete details and please consider them as part of the description. Measures 9-5/8H x 7-3/4W overall with a base diameter of 7. Good Luck, thanks for looking, and be sure to bookmark my Auctions, listed and ending daily.
The item "Antique Stoneware NY Batter Crock Jug Pail with Cobalt att Whites Utica, c1875" is in sale since Wednesday, January 29, 2020. This item is in the category "Pottery & Glass\Pottery & China\China & Dinnerware\Stoneware". The seller is "mgs1971" and is located in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts.
This item can be shipped to United States.
- Main Color: Blue Cobalt Floral on Tan Salt-Glazed Stoneware
- Brand: Whites of Utica, NY, c.1875
- Model: Antique Stoneware Batter Jug or Pail w/ Cobalt
- Featured Refinements: Antique Stoneware
- Object Type: Cobalt Decorated Stoneware Batter Pail Jug Pitcher
- Style: Primitive AAFA Country Folk Art Americana
- Original/Reproduction: Antique Original
- MPN: 1-Gallon (4 Quart) Capacity
- Color: Tan Salt-Glazed Stoneware w/ Blue Slip-Trailed Cobalt