Rare 19th C Brown & Bros Huntington LI Ny #2 Cobalt Dec Salt Glzd Stoneware Jug
RARE MID-19TH CENTURY AME RI CAN ANTIQUE' BROWN & BROTHERS,' HUNTINGTON, LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK, EARLY 2 GALLON COBALT BLUE SLIP GLAZED, STAMPED, PUTTY WHITE SALT GLAZED, WHEEL-THROWN, BEEHIVE SHAPED STONEWARE JUG, with SLAB CONSTRUCED HANDLE, TRIPLE FLORAL SIDEWALL, HAND PAINTED GRAPHIC ICONOGRAPHY DECORATION. [Still has remnants of original cork stopper]. Mid-19th century Ame ri can antique Long Island, New York stoneware decorated jugs & crocks. 13" Height x 9" Width. From the renowned Huntington, Long Island, New York, mid to late 19th century makers of cobalt blue slip decorated stoneware crocks and jugs, comes this rather compelling bee-hive shaped, early stamp marked, putty white, salt glazed, handled 2-gallon antique Ame ri can stoneware jug, with an early'Brown & Brothers, Huntington, L. (Long Island, New York) stamped maker's mark and the numeral'2' (gallons) underneath.
The stamp is decorated and highlighted with cobalt blue slip glaze. The entire wheel-thrown vessel is decorated in a variegated putty white salt glaze, with episodes of warm gray, burnt sienna and exuberant three flower floral motif, hand painted, blue slip glazed, sidewall graphic iconography.
The floral decoration is kinetic, gestural and whimsical, with the vignette of flowers appearing more like fluttering butterflies on the front of the jug. The handle is slab constructed and attached to the wheel-thrown body. The handle is without damage. There's a small to moderate chip and subsequent ceramic loss on the pouring spout to one side and there's a knock on the upper rear of the jug near the handle, where something hard previously struck it.
Fortunately, there's no hairline crack associated with this previous strike. Remnants of the original cork stopper remain in the inside of the pouring spout. Found on the South Shore of Massachusetts. About 155 years old and counting. Fair to Good overall antique condition. The item "RARE 19TH C BROWN & BROS HUNTINGTON LI NY #2 COBALT DEC SALT GLZD STONEWARE JUG" is in sale since Friday, October 30, 2020. This item is in the category "Antiques\Decorative Arts\Ceramics & Porcelain\Jugs". The seller is "modsanctuary" and is located in Milford, New Hampshire. This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Glossy, reflective glaze: 2-gallon liquid capacity jug
- American primitives: New York decorated stoneware
- American: Antique
- Circa 1862-1875: 100% original antique condition
- Style: Rustic/Primitive, American
- Age: 1850-1899
- Maker: Brown & Bros., Long island, New York
- Material: Ceramic & Porcelain
- Original/Reproduction: Original
- Color: Putty white & cobalt blue
- Country/Region of Origin: United States
- Putty white & cobalt blue: Salt glazed
- Wheel-thrown body: Slab-constructed handle
- Blue slip decorated graphic iconography: 3 flower floral graphic motif
- Hand painted: Gestural, kinetic painted flowers
- Wire cut bottom base plate: variegated putty white glaze w/burnt sienna/gray